So how is the new year treating you so far? It always makes me feel like change is possible; a new daily planner to fill, new goals to reach, new things to try. I do have a personal goal that I will get into in another post; this one is just to talk about what I’ve done for the past 5 days.
Jan. 1st – Our last day in Mangalore. We took the kids to the zoo in the morning, rested and relaxed the rest of the day.
Jan. 2nd – Packing! Caught the train home at 12:30 p.m. (Details of the trip and train rides will come in the next post.)
Jan. 3rd – Arrived in Chennai at 5:30 a.m. Came home and we all went to bed. Got up by 10. Spent the day cleaning the house.
Jan. 4th – Logan and Lila had school (they missed 2 days since it began on the 2nd). I spent the whole day cleaning, interspersed with cooking, baths, potty runs, play monitoring, and so on. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Jan. 5th – Today I’m still cleaning. Just took a break to write this and update a few things.
It’s amazing how much dirt can collect over the course of a week, well, 8 days including 2 half days on the train. Here in India there is always dust in the air, so much so that daily dusting would not be a waste of time. Not that I have the time to do it though. I usually do it once a week, twice if I can manage. So you can imagine how dusty the house was after a week of no cleaning. It also smelled of damp since it had rained a few times while we were gone.
In the past 3 days I have:
- Dusted everything, including all doors, door frames, window frames and grill work, shelves, t.v., living room cupboards and shelves, photo frames, bookshelf, air conditioners, toy shelf, bed frames, woodwork on the couches, etc. The dust was thick so it took more than a quick wipe.
- Changed the bedding on all the beds.
- Washed 7 loads of laundry, including bedding, curtains, and screens.
- Put away about 1/2 of the laundry.
- Rehung the screens and curtains.
- Cleaned the fridge and microwave inside and out.
- Cleaned out the pantry and all food storage containers.
- Cleaned the main bathroom.
- Polished all glass doors and tables.
- Threw out all sorts of garbage that was lying around.
- Took down the Christmas tree and decorations and put them away.
- Reorganized several shelves.
- Washed the fake flowers.
- Swept the balcony.
- Swept the floors countless times.
And I’m not finished yet. I still need to clean the fans, get rid of all the cobwebs, thoroughly sweep and mop the whole house, clean the second bathroom (the one we rarely use), and deep clean the guest room. I’ve been working from front to back, so the guest room is the last place that is still messy and dusty. We have a large desk in there that is full of papers, some important and some junk, and it has to be gone through since the drawers have fallen apart and no longer have bottoms to them. It is one of those press-board desks and quite old.
Having a clean house aside, we are expecting guests some time next week, people we haven’t seen in a few years. There is no way I’ll let them see the house as it usually is.🙂 I can’t stand that. So I will continue to clean for the rest of today and do what I can tomorrow despite back-to-back balloon sculpting events, and I’ll try to finish on Monday (while I also fit in the grocery shopping). So if you don’t hear from me, you know why.
Now if only there was a way to magically paint the walls this weekend.